Meet at Amherst launch 9:00
On the beach
- We’ll start with adjusting the foot pegs of your kayak to optimize the hip movement that will give you agility.
- After practicing using your footpegs to help you generate more hip movement you will learn how to hold the Greenland paddle to get the most power and speed for your forward stroke. And to make it quick and easy to use from bracing.
- Next we will practice what makes the forward stroke efficient. And learn how to use your hip power to take the pressure off the arms and shoulders, so you can paddle further with less effort. And look like you are not even working.
On the water 10:00
- As we paddle to sidney spits we will be focusing on paddling efficiency.
- Using the hips to power the stroke
- Using the hips to add a supportive low brace as you paddle so that you can feel comfortable edging or turning, and also kayaking broadside to the waves.
- After you have confidence with your low brace will will practice edging while still using the hips. To paddle forward and to turn.
Lunch Sidney Spits 12:00
On the water with the help of the beach 1:00
- We will use the beach to help us practice the high brace and sculling so you don’t risk capsizing.
- You will learn to make a powerful sweep turn that feels easy. Because you are using your hips and whole body. This is very important for when you need to maneuver on a windy day, and you want to avoid stressing your arms and shoulders.
- We will practice a low brace with more power.
Leave Sidney Island 2:00
- As we paddle towards Rum island you will practice your turning and bracing as well as learning to navigate in currents.-using back eddies to help you. Learn to read the water to make paddling as easy as it can be.
We will be arriving at Rum island at 5:00
- High brace practice and stretch on land
- High brace sculling with beach
- Practice leaning on your high brace with beach for support
- As we work our way to Moresby island we will be focusing on linking strokes with more ease and grace. Forward paddling, edge, sweep for a turn, back to forward paddling.
Lunch Moresby Island 1:00
2:00 on the beach of Moresby Island
- Here you will learn to add a bow draw and stern draw to make your turning more effective.
- And learn to link it to your forward stroke and sweep stroke in a way that feels powerful and natural. To give you grace as you maneuver.
- As we paddle around Moresby island we will be focusing using the draw strokes while edging, and making the transitions more smooth.
Set up camp on Portland Island 4:00
7:00 On land
- Learn the position for doing the balance brace.
- I will be helping those who want to try it on the water with a float at the end of the paddle.
- Before we get on the water will will again practice the balance brace position on land.
- As we paddle around Portland island, you will focus on linking your strokes, and practice edging for turning more effectively.
- Back at the campsite to practice balance brace on the water.
Back at the campsite for lunch 12:00
- After lunch we will practice side sculling on the water, with the focus on getting the right blade angle for maximum support.
- Next you will learn to use that side sculling position for an extremely effective high brace.
- Before we paddle back to the launch location i will be helping those who want to do a roll. By now you already have all the pieces in place for an effortless roll.
- Practice everything you learned as you paddle back to the launch location.